Contact us supporting

Prepare Student Visa by Yourself

student visa spain

spain student Visa

General Information

① Spain is one of the countries belonging to the Schengen area. Transiting from one country to another within the Schengen area is done without border controls. For the purposes of the Schengen (tourist) visa and Schengen border controls, the current Schengen area is composed of the following countries – Austria, Belgium, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Norway, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland.

The Azores and Madeira, as part of Portugal, and the Canary Islands and Balearic Islands, as part of Spain, are included in the Schengen area. Ceuta and Melilla – Spain’s autonomous cities in northern Africa – are a special case: they are part of the Schengen area, but border control is still in force there. France’s overseas possessions, on the other hand, are considered to be outside of the area.

All countries and territories that are members of the Schengen acquits, of the EU or of EFTA. Positive visa list of countries (also known as White Schengen List) from whose citizens no visa is required to enter the territory of the EU member states for a period of maximum 90 days. ② Student Visa: This type of visa allows you to study or do research work in Spain for periods exceeding 3 months.

U.S. citizens do not need a visa to study in Spain for less than 90 days.

This visa must be obtained for studies under 3 months by all nationals that are not EU citizens or they are from the countries that require visas to travel to the Schengen countries.

The application must be submitted in person by you or through an authorized representative (it must have a notarized authorization).

Applications are not accepted by mail.

By submitting your student visa application you can also apply for the visa for your spouse and children under 18 years of age.

The visa will be affixed to your passport before you depart the United States and it must be presented at your point of entry into the Schengen countries.

Prepare Student Visa by Yourself

Requirement Documents:

Documents you must submit in order to apply for a Student Visa:
– 2 Schengen Application forms dully filled out and signed.
– Passport. The passport must be valid for the intended period of your stay in Spain with at least one blank page to affix the visa. Also provide either of the following: US drivers license, US State ID card, current student ID.
– 2 recent photos passport size with a white background. Staple one photo on each of the application forms.
– Letter of acceptance as a full time student from Spain’s University/School or US program indicating: name, address and registration number of the school with Spain’s Department of Education; (Ministerio de Educación de España) full payment of tuition, duration of the program, subjects of the study and hours of study per week which must be no less than 20.
– Health Insurance (original form): International insurance coverage for health/accident with a minimum coverage equal to $37,000 during the planning period of stay in Spain (or its equivalency in dollars).
– Proofs of financial means during your stay: Please provide one of the following:
1. Letter from the University or School in Spain or in the USA assuming full financial responsibility during your stay (this is often included into the acceptance letter)
2. Proof of financial aid or scholarship for at least $1,000 per month for room and board.
3. Notarized letter from your parents or legal guardians assuming full financial responsibility for at least $1,000 per month for room and board. Suggested wording: “I hereby certify that I’m the (father/mother/other) of (…), will support him/her with a monthly allowance of at least $1,000 while he/she is in Spain and that I’m financially responsible for any emergency that may arise”.
4. Personal bank account statements showing at least $1,000 per month of stay.
-”Money-Order” to pay the non-refundable visa fee of $100 for US citizens or $ 92,40* for the other nationalities payable to the Consulate of Spain * For Russia, Ukraine, Macedonia, (ARYM), Montenegro, Serbia, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Albania, and Moldavia the fee is $ 53,90 (no personal checks or cash accepted).
– Self-addressed and Pre-Paid US “Express-Mail” envelope from the USPS if you wish to have your passport retuned by mail. We do NOT accept any other type of courier of messenger service. Tracking of mailed items is the sole responsibility of the applicant.
– Evidence of your migratory status in the USA (Only for non US citizens): Provide your “Alien Registration Card” or “US Visa with I-20/IAP-66”(except B1-B2).
– Certificate of Absence of Police Records (Only for stays of more than 180 days) issued by the Police Department from the city/cities where you have resided more than six months in the past five years. This Certificate must bear the “Apostle of The Hague Convention” (Contact the Secretary of State of the issuing state). If the Certificate is issued outside the USA it must be duly legalized by the corresponding Consulate of Spain.
– Medical Certificate (for periods longer than 180 days): Doctor’s statement (issued within 3 months from the application date),on a doctor or medical center letterhead, indicating that the student has been examined and found in good physical and mental health to travel to study abroad and is free of contagious diseases.
– Notarized authorization from both parents, with the Apostle of the Hague Convention (contact the Secretary of State for your state of residency) and a copy of the applicant’s birth certificate showing parents’ names (only if the applicant is under 18 years of age).

Additional Requirements & Time may apply
– Applicants must submit originals and copies of the above mentioned documents. If your documents are accepted to process the visa they will not be returned.
– Applications for this type of visa will neither be accepted more than four months in advance nor less than 7 weeks before the departure date.
– The passport must be left in our office so we can process your visa.
– It takes a minimum of 7 weeks to process this type of visa.
– During this time no telephone consultations will be taken by this office regarding your visa status.
– If granted your visa will allow you to study in Spain for the requested period of time, as specified on the visa sticker, (“del….al….”). Keep in mind the date format in Europe: Day, Month and Year.
– If your stay in Spain is for a period longer than 180 days you will have to request, within one month of your arrival in Spain, an authorization for the completion of your studies as well as the proper student ID card from the Police Department in Spain (“Policia Nacional”).

This visa will allow you for transit in the Schengen countries to and from Spain up to a maximum of 5 days (total).